Tuesday, September 19, 2017

in the family way... the post that I didn't write last year.

It's been over a year since I wrote a blog post. I was going along there pretty consistently for awhile but then something happened... something very unexpected, very wonderful and very unplanned. We got pregnant. And then lots of things happened... sickness... and school... and Hebrew... and new doctors... and new friends... and a daughter.

And now there are 5 of us.

It's not a great photo... but it's us:
Sleep deprived, sweaty, upset and in love. 
And it took me awhile to figure out what I wanted to say about all this... and then I didn't know if I was allowed to say it... and then God put me on the spot one day during church.

Our Pastor was teaching on something from the Bible that had great impact to our lives and was filled with important and enlightening truths... or something (church these days =  comforting a baby and shushing a toddler). In the middle of all this exposition and encouragement, he asked us to to take a moment to be silent, then tell God whatever we wanted to tell him. So I did:

"God, I'm mad at you."

Wait, what?
Oh no, so that's in there.
Dang it.

And then I remembered about three c-sections in less than 4 years, a husband who is working and in school full-time, three kids 3 and under, SO MANY DIAPERS, never a moment alone, never losing the baby weight because there are always more babies... and, most importantly, how we were trying NOT to get pregnant.

So I realized that I WAS mad at God.

And then I felt terrible!! Because so many friends, family, strangers on Facebook have been disappointed in their pursuit of trying to start a family. There are so many women who have cried and cursed God as another fruitless month goes by. And here I am, drowning under so many blessings and angry about the timing. It seemed foolish. It seemed ridiculous. It seemed selfish.

But there you are... I was mad at God last year when we found out that we were pregnant. So I didn't write about being "in the family way" like I did for my other kiddos.

So here you go Baby Girl, this one's for you.


Last year, I got pregnant.





And then we found out that we were having a girl!


So we rearranged our house and gave away lots of boy clothes and figured out how to put three kids in one bedroom. Then we had a c-section.


And now we have a daughter!!!




And she is gorgeous and wonderful and smart and a true blessing and light to our lives!


And yes, she is adored by her brothers. :)

 


And God and I? Well, we're working it out. But that's another post for another time. (Hopefully, next week. But kids are crazy and who knows what could happen between now and then.)

2 comments:

Amy LaMore said...

I have a friend who miscarried twice after her daughter was born. She was mad at God, and everyone who could get pregnant. Very angry. Then, her second daughter came, and she began to heal and make peace. Suddenly, baby number 3 was on the way. They are only 14 months apart. She said when the doctor said #3 was another girl, she actually hit her husband, wanting a boy! Then, she realized how ridiculous that was after so much loss. She has used her times of sadness and anger to grow in faith and perspective. It has been both painful and beautiful to watch......

Angela said...

We all have our very weird moments of being mad at God for some of our most wonderful blessings! I was terrified when I found out I was pregnant with K. You remember our scaryy situation. I don't know if you knew we had just gotten rid of all baby stuff because we knew with the major stressors we couldn't handle another one or that it would be safe. Well, timing was perfect ad he has stayed safe and those stressors changed and well he knew what he was doing. I love you all and miss you much. Take time for yourself when you can even if it's a "REAL SHOWER" Thta's what I call mine that last more than 4 minutes. LOL Love you friend! BTW she's gorgeous!